Sunday, August 12, 2007

Don's First Call from Iraq

I must say I am getting pretty good at multitasking. I think this has always been a strength of mine but lately I feel like I've become particularly well at it!

Yesterday, Don called. Yipee!!! Hooray. His first actual call from Iraq. And guess where I was? At the new Target. Luckily we had already shopped for everything that we "needed" and spent a good hour checking out the toy aisles...so we were able to stay on the phone and get out of there. First I had to roundup Benjamin who managed to escape out of the cart and was running around aimlessly. So, I tracked him down. Buckled him into the cart and proceeded to the checkout. I told Don he probably save us some money by calling when he did because who knows what else I would have found to by while at Target. After the checkout, we got the smoothie I promised Benjamin from the Starbucks at Target. And finally we were in the car. And as I continue to talk to Don I hear a lil voice in between smoothie sips say "Mommy, buckle me." Thank goodness he doesn't let me forget this! ahhhh. (okay, so I didn't do particularly well at multi tasking that part).

NOTE: It really bugs me when people are glued to their phone while shopping or out an about. Like can't that call wait? hmm. I have new insight into that. No silly, this call can't wait...but Target can!

So, then we were off...we got to our neighborhood and Benjamin pipes up with his usual "Mommy, can we go around the block?" So, as we make the loop around I notice the garage sale that I saw a sign for earlier. They were cleaning up. But I spotted a lil toddler sized motorcycle so I rolled down the window and asked "How much are you asking for the motorcycle?"..."$1!" I hop out of the car and track down a dollar. Scoop up the motorcycle and put it in the truck. ahh. A very happy smoothie sipper in the back asks "That's my motorcycle?"..."Yes". So, we get home and Benjamin asks if he can ride the motorcycle. (At this point he had been shying away from talking to Daddy-O on the phone). So, I tell him we can take the motorcycle around the block after he says hi to Daddy. He quickly takes the phone from me and they have a brief conversation (mostly about the new motorcycle) while I get Samuel out of the car and into a stroller, throw our Target purchases into the garage and unbuckle Benj.

So, then we take our walk around the block all while still talking to Don. Benjamin had a ball...that motorcycle was worth every penny! (Although, Daddy expresses some concern about it eating up more of our precious garage space. oops. And Benj is probably already too big for the motorcycle...but Samuel ought to love it next summer!)

Don sounded great. It was sooooo good to talk to him. I felt so elated after talking to him. Like there was wind in my sails again. That had been the longest we'd gone without a phone call since he left for Ft. Lewis in June. Some times it's been hard not being able to just talk to him. Of course, some of the physical demands of being a parent can be draining from day to day but I can handle that. (I have a lot of respect for single parents now that is for sure). But I really miss just talking to Don....sharing the joys and concerns of our boys with him. There is only one other person in this world that really loves your kids the same way you do and that is the other parent. I know my boys are loved. But we have come to learn what a parent's love is together. And he really helps to balance me out when I'm stressed or overreacting or overly concerned. I miss that. He is so reassuring.

Anyways, we probably spent an hour on the phone. He says he will try to call more frequently but probably not be able to talk so long. It is an 8 hour time change. So, while it was our afternoon he was preparing to go home for the day. He has been working long hours and getting into a good routine. I don't even know what we talked about really...mostly the boys I suppose.

The guy he is replacing has four young kids and had some good tips on helping keep in touch. We talked about that for awhile. I had asked Don to draw some pictures on the postcards and/or letters he sends to Benjamin so he can kind of read them on his own. Because right now he looks at the words and says "Daddy drew this?" Don is hoping to get a digital camera soon from the PX there so hopefully we'll be sharing photos from Iraq in the somewhat near future too.

Today we went to church then after lunch we all took naps (which was much needed after Benj was up at 2:45 a.m. for no apparent reason...then Samuel was up at around 3 a.m. for about an hour...probably woke up after hearing his brother! ugh). Then we were off to the neighborhood pool this afternoon. Actually, both yesterday and today we spent some time at the pool. Luckily, our very wonderful neighbor, Katie, is more than willing to head up to the pool with us and help me with the boys. So, we all had a good time.

And in keeping with tradition, I let Benjamin pick out his own clothes after church to change into. Today, like many other days, he opted for guess what? Yup. His favorite...Go Diego Go shirt...so I though I'd include a photo of him in that too...fresh off the top of the clean laundry basket!

On another note. My college friend, Kelli, called yesterday morning from Memphis. Her mother had been very ill and she had passed on Friday. I immediately started to cry with her. I cannot even imagine what she is going through. We talked for a good long while. I think we both had a good cry and we both needed it. Even though we are going through very different challenges right now it is nice to talk to a dear friend that can always help you see sunshine. Kelli, please know that you and your family continue to be in my prayers. You are a strong person and your mom will always be shinning through you in so many ways.

No comments: