Thursday, April 24, 2008

Our Meeting with Mrs. Bush

Tonight we went to a book signing of Laura Bush (and Jenna Bush)s' new children's book, "Read All About It!". This was all our friends, Natalie and Dennis' idea which I thought was a little crazy at first. "Waiting in line with 4 kids all ages 3 and under to have Laura Bush sign a children's book? hmm. Okay, I'm game."

Natalie went to pick up the tickets at the Books-A-Million in Tysons Corner, Virginia on Monday while the boys were at preschool. And Tuesday I ran to the local Books-A-Million to pick up 9 copies of her book (which came out on Tuesday). We were each allowed to have up to 3 copies autographed so Natalie, Dennis and I were each armed with 3 copies of the book!

I left work a lil early today, ran home to walk the dogs then was off to pick up the boys and follow Dennis and Natalie to the bookstore. It was about a 45 minute drive there so when we got there around 6 p.m. there was a pretty good line. The signing didn't start until 7 p.m. So, Natalie had made chicken nuggets for the big boys and a hot dog for my lil hot dog lover, Samuel. They were actually pretty good for the two hours we spent in line. I had brought a Diego Colorforms set, crayons and coloring books and a stock of lollipops. Eventually, we made it to the front of the line. But we were only allowed to take photos from a designated area from some distance away so I have no idea who is in my photos besides Laura Bush!

When we got up there Dennis and Natalie went first and Mrs. Bush was very friendly and chatty! They had 6 books between them so they had a lil bit more time with her. So, I got Benjamin out of the stroller and he went right up there. I pushed the stroller with Samuel and they were both eagerly looking at Mrs. Bush. She said to Benjamin "What's your name?" and he said "Benjamin" very quietly but definitely understandable. And she said "Benjamin, do you like to read?" He responded "yes." Then she said "And Benjamin what is your little brother's name?" and he said "Boo!" quite excitedly. It made me a little nervous because I wasn't quite sure what was going to come out his mouth next so I said "His name is Samuel." And Mrs. Bush said "Hello Samuel" and looked right at him. By this time Samuel was a lil eager to get out of the stroller and he seemed to be peering right at her smiling. (What a flirt!).

So, that was our brush with fame... a benefit of living in the Washington D.C. area.

For any of you interested in the book it is called "Read All About It!" and is an illustrated short story about Tyrone Brown, a student at Good Day Elementary School who thinks he hates to read. (But by the book's end, Tyrone decides reading isn't so bad after all.) Benjamin's highlight was that it has a dragon in part of the book!

Now the kids are both fast asleep and I still have a ton to do before I get to bed for the night.

No comments: