Monday, January 28, 2008

Dad's Night

Tonight was a night I have been dreading for some time now. It was my first (and hopefully only) Dad's Night for Benjamin's preschool. Back in August, when I had gone to the preschool orientation I remember my eyes tearing up when they discussed Dad's Night in January and showed photos of the kids interacting with their dads.

Well, Ms. Katie came over tonight to watch Samuel around 6:30 p.m. and Benjamin, Flatdaddy and I were off to school!

It went great! I'm so glad we went. The teachers (Ms. Tracie and Ms. Jenny, pictured above) and other dads were all great. It was nice to meet some of the dads too. And a few of them really made an effort to interact with Benjamin as well. Giving him hi-5s and asking him questions. It was nice for him to get that kind of interaction. And a few of them asked about Don, how he's doing, how we're doing, etc. The outpouring of support is really nice.

Anyways, I was quite honored to wear a special custom tie that was handmade by Benjamin. We made a rain stick which they had been working on painting and preparing for us to work on. We all brought hammers and put nails in these long tubes then filled them with rice and popcorn kernels. Benjamin really got into it and had a great time hammering (Daddy-O would be so proud!). I snapped photos and had the camcorder too so Daddy will be getting lots of stuff from the night.


They also said the Pledge of Allegiance, sang a song about Dads, and the teachers read aloud some things that the kids said about their dads, then we had a snack and juice.


Here is Benjamin's information that he gave about his Dad:

My Dad

My Dads name is Daddy.
His job is to work with the Army.
He has brown eyes and brown hair.
Hi is 26, 7 years old. (not a typo, he gave 2 answers).
My Dads favorite thing to do is to wrestle me.
His favorite food is chicken nuggets and french fries.
I love my Dad because I love him so much.

The teachers didn't divulge whose Dad they were describing as they were reading so it was rather entertaining. Three year olds can really come up with some interesting facts about their Daddies! Benjamin did pretty good overall. (Some Dad's had green hair, favorite this was to shop, etc). I don't think Don is a huge fan of chicken nuggets though. Maybe Benjamin knows something I don't.


I left the Dad's Night feeling pretty good. The teachers were so complimentary on Benjamin and praising me as a parent too. It is so nice to have that kind of support. Some times it is nice to get a lil pat on the back from people you see often but sometimes don't have the time to visit with. Ms. Jenny commented on how smart Benjamin is and that he really gets it. He's doing great with his letters!

We had a good day overall today and Samuel and I were able to get a few things done while Benjamin was at school this morning. I finally got a good photo of him showing off his new teeth unfortunately he has food all over his face. About the only time the kid is sitting still is when he is strapped into his high chair, carseat or going to bed.

No comments: