Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Happy Birthday Sweet Samuel

Today, ironically, there was an ice storm. Ironically, because one year ago today there was an ice storm! Last year my mom, Harry, Benjamin and I went to Bethesda, Maryland for my 40 week doctor's appointment. My mom, Harry and Benjamin made the treck back to our house amidst the falling icey snowy mix. They ended up admitting me and Don left work to meet me at the Naval Hospital. They enduced labor and by 5 p.m. we met our Samuel Thomas. He came out weighing 8 pounds 12 ounces (just like his big brother). We were thrilled.

The week before I delivered we found out that Don would be, most likely, deploying to Iraq in the summer. I was a little emotional to say the least. I tried to be strong but mostly, I tried not to think about it. I didn't want anything to interupt our joy of welcoming our lil guy, Samuel. But part of me was terrified of the idea of Don leaving me with these two boys. Not only would I get a taste of being a single parent but Don would also be missing out on so many of Samuel's firsts.

Well, we are half way there and still going strong. It amazes me that Samuel is a year old. Where did my baby go? I find traces of him here and there. He snuggled up and fell asleep in my arms tonight. I cherish that time. One on one time together with him (with either of the boys really) is so precious but sometimes I don't take the time to appreciate it.

Today was not only Samuel's birthday but was supposed to be Benjamin's first Valentine's Day party at school! However, the ice storm brought school cancellations and it looks like Valentine's Day will be celebrated next Wednesday instead. So, once it started to warm up a bit we headed out to Burger King to meet Natalie and her boys so the boys could enjoy the play area there and use up some energy. We got home close to 2 p.m. and the boys and I all took naps. But before I went down for my nap I noticed that the dogs kept barking at the front door. So, finally I peeked out the front door and saw a dozen red roses sitting on my doorstep. hmm. Nice surprise (thank you, Hunny). I'm posting a photo that Benjamin took of me with our Flatdaddy and the Valetine flowers he sent me. He's awfully sweet.

No comments: