Sunday, June 8, 2008

Summer Is Finally Here!

We have had another busy but fun weekend. I have changed my work schedule so now I work Tuesdays through Thursdays and have 4 day weekends. Which has its perks but usually by the time Tuesday rolls around I'm really ready to head back to work! My job is definitely my outlet these days and, for the most part, I enjoy it.

This Saturday Benjamin had a birthday party to go to for a classmate. So, I had our babysitter come and stay with Samuel while I spent time with Benjamin at the birthday party. It was Samuel's nap time and it's definitely easier taking one child to parties than chasing after the lil guy the entire time.

After the party I had the sitter stay and we all headed up to the pool. It was hot with temps swelling and peaking at 100 both Saturday and Sunday. Which I hate to complain about too much knowing that our soldiers (including our Daddy-O) are out in temperatures well over 100 degrees on a daily basis. The boys both loved the pool and had a blast. Samuel is mostly glued to his pool balls the entire time we're there or watching the big kids play with the basketball hoop in the big pool. Benjamin has grown so much since last summer and can stay above water in the majority of the shallow end of the big pool. He loves to jump in over and over and over again. And it's fun to see him so excited and just loving life. After the pool I ordered pizza and bathed the kids then took the sitter home. It was a busy fun-filled day.


Today Samuel slept til almost 9 a.m. Phew! He must have been tuckered out because I put them both to bed at 7:30 p.m. last night. Gotta love summer and pool weather. Of course, Benjamin was up at 6 a.m. Don called around 8:30 a.m. Benjamin answered the phone. He had so much to tell Daddy. I was so surprised. Sometimes we talk about little things that we'll have to tell Daddy and how proud Daddy will be of him when hears this or that. And apparently, he was storing some of these things and just couldn't wait to share them with Daddy-O! So, he told him how he is now able to do his top buckle on his car seat, how he closes his own car door, how he found treasures in a sandbox at Emma's birthday party... a car, a blue car, his favorite color!, etc.

I think this book that I got from the library "My Daddy's in Iraq but I want him Back" really hit home with him. He loves it and he can totally identify with it. In the story the boy talks to his Daddy and the boy shows his Daddy his new toys over the phone but the Daddy can't see the new toys. And today Benjamin said to his Daddy, "Samuel got new toys." then he went on to tell him about them. It was cute and reminded me of the book. It really gets him asking questions about things which is great. It's incredible to see how their little minds work. And at the end of the story it says that the boys Daddy comes home and that the boy looks really close to make sure it's his very own Daddy. And every time I read that part Benjamin lights up like the fourth of July. It's great. I can only imagine how he's going to beam when Don is home again. Only four short months. Or about 120 days according to Don!

Don sounds good. He sent a photo this week of him at a modeling club that he and a friend went to. It was the first time he went and he made a model of a locomotive. He said he slept in today and ended up missing chapel. He must have needed the sleep.

Well, after church today we had a luncheon to celebrate the church's 20th anniversary. It was nice and they had a moon bounce that Benjamin thoroughly enjoyed but with the temps so hot it didn't take long before he was beat red and covered in sweat.


The rest of the day just flew by. We came home from church around 2 p.m. Took naps then were off to the pool again this time with our super neighbor, Katie. She adores the boys and is a huge help at the pool. For the most part she entertained Samuel while I caught Benjamin time and time again. He just loves that jumping! Today I relocated a swim vest that he wore last summer and it was awesome. He was able to stay afloat a lot better and I didn't find myself reaching out to him as much.

Overall, we had a great weekend and I'm so glad that we're finally able to get out and enjoy the weather (hot as it may be!).

No comments: