Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Some Things About Germany: Grocery Shopping


We have been here, in Germany, 2 months now which is hard to believe (as I sit with quite a few unpacked boxes throughout our home). We seem to be settling into a routine for the most part these days. And little by little we are getting boxes unpacked and finding places for our stuff. So, our place is starting to feel more like home.

I am getting more comfortable with driving, at least to and from the typical places we go. And I am so thankful for the awesome GPS that Don picked up since we've been here. It is great and even if I make a wrong turn along the way it simply adjusts the route and I'm back on track. Sometimes I will find new routes to explore just knowing that I can always rely on my GPS to get me back home! Without our trusty GPS I would have been lost a gazillion times by now! Phew. I love some of the high tech devices that make life easy (and more fun!).

I have had a few people ask me about grocery shopping and foods that we're able to find and eat. The commissary (or grocery store for military families) is a short drive from our home (about 15 minutes) near Benjamin's preschool. It is a decent commissary and has most things that we eat and enjoy. There are a few differences and not as much of a selection of brands that you would find in an American grocery store but as long as you're not stuck on brand loyalty then it's no problem. Or they may have one flavor of something versus the typical American way of 25 alternatives! And I have found that sometimes the commissary runs out of things so if they have something during one trip to the commissary it doesn't mean they'll have it the next time.

Some of the biggest differences shopping here include the milk (because our family is crazy about milk). When we first arrived and were staying at the guesthouse, we
experienced the long shelf life milk. It's chalky and nasty to say the least. They sell "US Forces Europe" milk at the commissary. It tastes normal! YEAH! And is available in Skim, 1%, 2% and Whole. The down fall is that it is sold in half gallon cartons (like when we...some of you reading this anyways... were kids!) The shelf life is not as long as milk you would buy in the states either. We go through A LOT of half gallons.

Most things I buy at the commissary are familiar things. But I do venture slightly outside the comfort zone and try things that are obvious what they are but their labels are completely in German. We've found some really yummy yogurt this way... some German animal crackers that Samuel LOVES... and tonight the pasta I made was all wri
tten in German... but I could follow the instructions by the illustrations included as well as the part that said "2 mins." The pasta was really yummy stuffed with cheese and the boys devoured it. We will be sampling other varieties of that pasta!

And then they have things that we are accustomed to that have a different flavor and sometimes name to them. Like Capri-Sun which is "Capri-Sonne" here and the flavors are bizarre. The boys enjoy exploring new ones. Each trip to the commissary I let them pick out a new one. Some I find incredibly nasty... like the Vitamin flavor? What?! A kids drink... vitamin flavor? I tried it and it seriously has a vitamin flavor. yuck. My kids drank it though without complaint.

Overall, shopping is a no brainer due to the fact that we have the advantage of being so close to the commissary. I recently found out that the Army offers tours of the German grocery stores to familiarize you with stuff here. I have not ventured into a German grocery store at this point. Hopefully, soon I will get a chance to take some of the courses offered to military and dependents and find out more about these tours and other programs offered through the military. But in the mean time, it seems like time is flying by and the kids keep me extremely busy! (So, this is what being a full-time stay at home mom is like).

Benjamin is enjoying his preschool and Samuel is just loving life. Samuel occasionally attends hourly care at the same place Benjamin goes to school and Samuel calls it his "school." He asks
to go and always leaves with a smile. I am trying to take him more often... at least once a week so he can have some socialization and I can enjoy some "me" time.
Grace is growing leaps and bounds and is as smiley as ever. The boys are enjoying her more and more each day as she lights up when they interact with her.

I have a lot more to report about our experiences so far in Germany so I will try to post more soon.

No comments: