Thursday, September 3, 2009

Our Trip to Heidelberg, Germany

We made it to Heidelberg, Germany on September 1st. It was a long journey but all went pretty well. We all managed to sleep on the flight over. The flight is about 7 hours from D.C. however there is a strong tailwind and even after leaving a little late out of Dulles we arrived a little early. 

The boys were good at the airport and were excited to board the plane and look out the windows. We had five seats on the aircraft all in the same row... two near the window then three in the center of the plane. Grace was a bit cranky at first but not totally miserable. I'm sure the other passengers nearby were dreading having our crying baby on the flight over. But she calmed down and slept most of flight... content in her car seat.

Upon arrival we waited and waited and waited for our stroller which we checked at the gate. It should have been brought up shortly after the plane landed. However, it didn't turn up and we were told to proceed to baggage claim and that we'd find the stroller there. So, off we were to baggage claim with three tired kids and what seemed to be a gazillion carry-on bags (which had previously been stacked on our double stroller). Somehow, we missed baggage claim so the kids and I found a spot to sit and Don went back to baggage claim and found our stroller, most of our bags and our somewhat stressed out dogs. The Army liason was at baggage claim and helped pile all our stuff (including the crated dogs) on baggage carts and take us to a secured area where we could park our stuff while we waited for our bus that would take us to Heidelberg. The US military have a few rooms at the airport Sheraton and the Army liason took us to the "Family Room" where there were DVDs for the kids to watch and enough toys to entertain them for awhile as well as a couple of couches. We were the only ones there at the time so the kids and I parked it there while Don went back and walked the dogs. We were exhausted as it was still the middle of the night in Ashburn, Virginia! So, with Grace sleeping and the boys content playing and watching a DVD I crashed on one of the couches. 

At one point I took the dogs as well and we moved on to another room down the hall for soldiers where the dogs were also permitted. I kept track of the kids and dogs while Don ran and grabbed us a bite to eat from a nearby McDonalds. Before we knew it we were heading back for our luggage and loading up for the bus to Heidelberg. The military buses make the trip twice a day to Heidelberg (as well as other bases in Germany) and on that day we just happened to be the only ones on the bus. Probably a blessing because we had a ton of luggage that filled a good portion of the stowaway area under the bus.

The bus ride was probably about an hour and a half from Frankfurt to Heidelberg. And I think we were all asleep within about 5 minutes of leaving the airport. Grace had some awake time which kept me awake as well but I did manage to squeeze in some sleep on the bus ride.

Once we made it to the Guest House (an on base military hotel) on Patrick Henry Village (which is one of the military housing areas here) we were dropped off with all our stuff and settled in. We were across the street from a huge playground which the kids loved. So we spent a lot of time exploring that playground during our four days at the Guest House. We were in walking distance to plenty of things to keep us busy... restuarants, shopette, etc. Overall, our experience in the Guest House here was pleasant. 

Everyone has been extremely welcoming and friendly. The morning after I arrived I awoke with a mission to get Samuel diapers. We had already checked the shopette which was in walking distance and they didn't have the diapers we needed so we really needed to get to the commisary which was not as close as most things. But I found a map and planned on packing the kids into the stroller and hiking it til we found it. 

First, I had to get through breakfast which was offered directly downstairs from our room. I woke up all the kids around 9 a.m. and headed down for breakfast which was closing at 10 a.m. It was about 9:45 a.m. when me and my crew arrived. Our sponsor (the soldier that helps get you and your family settled when you first arrive) picked Don up early that morning. So, I was on my own and we were all tired. I had my hands full in the crowded 
little kitchen area we were trying to eat in that morning. Grace was requesting a bottle and crying out whenever I took it away to attend to the boys' breakfast requests...so the employee there, a nice older German woman, took pity on us and asked if she could do something... even hold the baby. So, she ended up giving Grace her bottle while I scuffled around and got the boys settled. Eventually, I took Grace back into my arms and began to scarf down my breakfast. Then Benjamin ended up gagging and tossing his entire breakfast back onto the table.  Yuck. By this time, the breakfast area was closing up so it was me, the kids and the lady who works there. She scurried over and reassured me that it was not a big deal and was kind and patient with Benjamin who had just hurled all over her clean kitchen. 

As that fiasco was winding up, I asked her how close the commisary is and she said it would be a long walk with three kids. I told her I needed diapers and she said she would take me in a little while... I kindly declined... I felt like she had already done so much for us... but she didn't give up on me. She swung the kitchen door back open and asked the cleaning lady if she would help get me diapers. So, the next thing I know this lady was running to the comissary for me, on her break, to get diapers. 

Overall, we have been blessed in so many ways...big and small. We are still missing two of our checked bags from the flight over which includes a suitcase of Grace's clothes and a suitcase full of both of the boys' things. But we have been making do and are thankful we at least had a laundry bag with some of the kids' dirty clothes in it that we have been able to
 wash up and make do with. Hopefully, it won't be much longer and the kids' bags will show up. 

Things are falling into place and it has been a long and tiring road but a good experience so far in so many ways. Looking forward to sharing more of our adventures soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everything looks so beautiful! We are so happy for all of you. We miss you lots!!!
Love Aunt Nancy Duda