Thursday, February 26, 2009

Germany?

We have had some exciting and stressful decisions to make lately. As many of you know, we were planning on going to Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas in the spring. I gave verbal notice at work and plan to be done working at my current job (after 6 and a half fantastic years!) We have a baby on the way and are due in July. Our time line was set.

Then Don got a call at work and sent me an e-mail that said something like "What do you think about going to Germany instead of San Antonio?"
"WHAT??????" hmm. I e-mailed him back quickly then decided that his original e-mail was too open and I needed to just call him directly and immediately.

He was told of a position as a Facility Planner in Heidelberg, Germany. We talked about it and then I stressed about it for a few days (and nights). Then we needed to make a decision. I played devil's advocate and was coming up with every negative thing I could think about. Were we crazy to even consider moving half way across the planet right before or after welcoming a new baby into this world? hmmm. I finally decided it would be much easier to just keep our plan as it was and move to San Antonio at the end of May. I went to bed on a Thursday night with that decision on my mind. Don would be receiving a call the next day to find out what our decision would be. And I woke up with a different heart. Was I dismissing a huge opportunity for our family? Hmm. What would living in Germany actually be like? I still had a zillion questions whirling around in my head.

I called Don on my way in to work that Friday morning. "Don, could you tell the Colonel that your wife is a lil hormonal and needs til Monday to decide?"

Don did and the colonel was fine with that. So, I got to work and contacted a few people I knew of that are living in Germany. A number of my questions were answered and I began to feel confident that maybe we could do this. Maybe we are just crazy enough to welcome all this change into our lives at one time. I totally changed my attitude as I researched more and more and began to get a lil excited about such an adventure the more I found out about the US Army lifestyle in Germany.

Then the part I dreaded most... I had to call my mom and break it to her. My mom has always been such a strength for me and although we have lived miles apart for almost 10 years now, we talk just about daily (sometimes more) and I knew she was excited about the idea of us moving to Texas. Germany? Germany was half way around the world. What would she think?

I made the call to my mom. Of course, she said it was a decision we would have to make on our own. A a supportive and wonderful Mom, what else could she say, right? After a brief conversation we got off the phone and I went home for lunch. We spoke again when I was driving back to work after my lunch break. I think she needed a little time to let the idea to sink in. She said Harry thought it sounded good. She agreed that they'd try to come visit us at least once if we go.

It was decided. We would go. Don spoke to the Colonel the following Monday and said we were in. We have the option to go early and deliver the baby there or wait until after the baby is born and go in August or September. So, it looks like we will spending one more summer in Ashburn, Virginia before we head out to Heidelberg.

Back in February of 1998, Don and I were dating. He spent about 6 or 7 months in Bosnia but got 2 weeks of leave to either come back to the states or to Germany. He wanted to go to Germany and invited me to join him there. We spent 11 days together exploring Germany including Heidelberg. We loved it and stayed at different U.S. military bases the entire trip. I just never thought to check them out as to see what married housing would be like for a family of 5. Who would have thought we'd end up back there?

We have e-mailed the guy Don will be replacing in Germany as well as his wife and they have been extremely helpful in answering so many questions about the area for us. After a lot of thought and prayer about our big decision, we are now getting excited about our upcoming adventure.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey guys congratulations on this wonderful opportunity! Gloria and I are so excited for you guys and look forward to hearing about your adventures in Europe (and visiting of course). Might be 5 of us by then, better get a big place! LOL. I know you will have a great time over there and it will be a great place for our new Neice to spend her first year!....Ooops forgot to tell ya I'm really good at reading Sonograms.

Love ya, Kenny.

Anonymous said...

It gave me chills and made me a little teary-eyed reading your post. Obviously I already knew but it's emotional and exciting thinking about all of the changes in your family. Heather posted a "bucket list" on FB, now you'll be able to check off "Have lived in a foreign country"
yey for the Chapmans!!!

Anonymous said...

Getting excited for you also! I contacted my cousin, Micha that lives in Germany to see where she is compared to where you guys are going. I look forward to vistiting you guys over there! Glad this is going to work out for you - it will be great for the kids and you guys!

Love you!
Miss you!

Gloria