Thursday, February 24, 2011

One Amazing Lady


I have been so blessed with a wonderful mom who is also my dear friend.

As a child, I enjoyed curling up with her and listening to stories of her childhood. I learned so much about my relatives and what life must have been like for her growing up with so many loved ones around her.

I am one of four children but she always had a way of making each of us know that we're special. She still does. I think it's a gift she has... she's a natural mother... a nurturer. And I remember hearing her change the song "You Are My Sunshine" to "You are my daughter... my only daughter... you make me happy..." I loved that. (And I think Grace will too).

When I was younger, I was amused by her abundance of silly nicknames for me... and would answer to any and all of them. Growing up, I loved her French toast... and when she instituted a Wednesday night French toast night I made sure I left where ever I might be to make it home to remind her.

As an adult and a mom myself, I am in awe of how she survived raising four kids who all admire and respect her in so many ways.

She is amazingly thoughtful, supportive, kind and giving. (My family is spoiled by the amount of packages they send us here in Germany. They're our lifeline to Target and Walmart!)

And there is nothing like being in the room when my mom starts laughing... it's rather contagious... and entertaining in itself.

If you are reading this blog, chances are... you know my mom. And today that amazing lady turns 70 years old! A few years ago I put together a montage of photos on her birthday and now I've redone it to include some recent photos.

On your birthday and always, Mom, I admire and cherish you as a grandmother, mother, and friend.

With Love,
Schmert MaGert

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Susan. MOM

Anonymous said...

You did a wonderful job for a very special person. We love her. Shirl and Bob

Anonymous said...

Susan,

I just watched the video again and I love it!! Yes, you have been blessed but, I feel I have been too! I have the best mother-in-law anyone could ask for!! Thank you for making the video. I am also blessed to be a part of the Duda Family.

Love Nancy